What’s the biggest mistake you can make when planning your Disney vacation? That’s easy: not taking advantage of Disney’s FastPass system. In fact, if you don’t utilize it correctly I can tell you right now which attractions you will have to miss out on. What is a FastPass you ask? Well, basically you reserve a spot in line for an attraction during a certain time slot and avoid waiting in the long queues. You will find my FastPass selections (broken down by park) below.
Everyone has access to select their FastPasses 30 days before your ticket date. But if you stay on a Disney Property you have access 60 days before the day of your first park ticket date. We have stayed on property and off, and this, along with their transportation system, is my top two reasons to stay on Disney property. Either way, you have to have your park tickets purchased to select your FastPasses. You can carry 3 FastPasses per person per park per day. There are a limited amount of FastPasses distributed for each attraction so here a couple of things to keep in mind in the FastPass selection and distribution process:
- FastPasses are controlled through the MyDisneyExperience App. Make sure you have it downloaded and your tickets uploaded to your account. You also want to add your family members through the Friends&Family section so that you can get FastPasses for all the members in your party.
- If you get to an attraction that you have a FastPass for, and the wait time is less than 20 – release your FastPass and enter the standby line – this way you can select another FastPass for a different attraction later in the day.
- Utilize FastPasses for non-riders. You can get in twice as many FastPass selections by switching magic bands with your non-riding family members.
- If you use utilize baby swap (which you totally should!) and they don’t scan your FastPass for the second group entering, release the FastPass for that attraction in order to select another one for later in the day.
- If you don’t get a FastPass for a main attraction, try to hit it during a parade or the fireworks, lines will be the shortest during this time.
- You won’t find a character experience on my FastPass list. We typically do one Character Dining Experience during our trip to get our character fix in. Otherwise, we only stop for characters if the line is reasonable.
Here are my selections, listed in order of priority:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (38″ Height Requirement) Standby wait times almost always exceed 70 minutes
Peter Pan’s Flight
Space Mountain (44″ Height Requirement)
Splash Mountain (40″)
Big Thunder Mountain (40″ Height Requirement)
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger
Enchanted Tales with Belle
Barnstormer (36″ Height Requirement)
Under the Sea: Journey with the Little Mermaid
Small World (I have this listed lower, because this line usually moves pretty fast and a FastPass would be better used on a different attraction)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mad Tea Party
Aladdin’s Magic Carpets
Epcot works in a tier system. You can select only 1 FastPass from the first tier and 2 from the second.
Frozen Ever After If you get to the park at opening and head straight there, your wait time will most likely be under 30 minutes, but will usually remain long for the remainder of the day. If you are a gambling man plan to do this and select a different tier 1 FastPass.
Soarin’ (40″ Height Requirement)
Test Track (40″ Height Requirement). We often use the single rider line option here if your party doesn’t mind splitting up.
The Seas with Nemo & Friends
Journey into Imagination with Figment
Turtle Talk with Crush
Living with the Land
Mission Space (40″ Height Requirement)
Avatar Flight of Passage (44″) – MUST RIDE – BEST RIDE IN ALL FOUR PARKS. If you don’t have a FastPass you won’t ride it, wait times exceed 100 Minutes. Always. Note: You can only carry 1 Pandora World attraction, if you miss out on Flight of Passage, select Na’vi River Journey, otherwise head here when park opens to avoid long wait times.
Expedition Everest (44″ Height Requirement)
Finding Nemo: The Show (If limited on FastPasses, you could select one person in your party to have the FastPass and save seats for the rest of your party who enters through the standby entrance).
Dinosaur (40″ Height Requirement)
Kali River Rapids (38″ Height Requirement)
(This does not include the new StarWars Land Attractions – access to this portion of the park are by reservation only and sold out for the rest of 2019)
Slinky Dog Dash (38″ Height Requirement) OR Alien Saucers (32″ Height Requirement) OR ToyStory Midway Mania (Note: you can only select 1 of the ToyStory Land attractions at a time)
Star Tours (40″ Height Requirement)
Tower of Terror (40″ Height Requirement)
Rockin’ Roller Coaster (48″ Height Requirement), carries single rider option
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Show
Disney will forever hold a place in my heart and I hope this helps your time be just as magical. As Walt Disney himself said, “Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever.“